Monday, December 5, 2011

Though He Slay Me: Part II


I wrote this post the day before we buried little Josh:

“The labor moved really slowly last night until 1:30 when Halley’s delivery started to move at a break-neck speed. By 1:42, my strong, precious wife had delivered a little boy (this was a surprise to us)! We named our little boy Joshua Shane Caldwell Jr. He weighed 4 pounds, 12 ounces and was 20 inches long. I will never forget getting to hold my namesake in my arms. What a gift from God!

There is a distinct duality to the grief that my wife and I feel. On one hand, we are elated that our little boy is safe in the arms of the Savior. Little Josh is happier right now than the happiest person on earth because he is in the presence of the Fountain of living water; the Supplier of all joy. I praise God for this sweet comfort.  In this regard, I am happier that my son bypassed the strain and sorrow of life on earth to be directly in the presence of God for eternity—what more could his earthly father ask for?

On the other hand, I was so excited to meet my child, to hold him, to pray for him, to be patient with him, and to see him grow up into honorable manhood. I will just have to wait a little longer than expected to get to know my first born son.

Little Josh, you’re earthly dad loves you deeply and misses you, but he is so joyful that you are in the much superior care of your Heavenly Father for eternity.

Halley and I are struggling, but we will make it through. Thank you all for your support during this tragedy. We appreciate all your prayers and kind words as we endure. Please don’t worry about having the ‘right’ words to say to us; just your company is enough.
     God is still gracious. God is still good. God is always sovereign. It is well with my soul.”

No comments:

Post a Comment